Friday, January 1, 2010

Good Bye Damien

Damien went away in the night and left my sweet Little Man in his place. I have no idea what time he woke up but a little before 8, he realized he could walk out his (wide opened) bedroom door and shuffle his way into mommy's room. You know you are done for when 7:45 is considered sleeping in. OK, I knew I was done for the night before when I was having trouble keeping my eyes open past 9:30.

A friend commented you know you are young when you want to stay up to midnight to welcome the New Year and old when you are forced to. No one answered me when I asked what it meant when you refused to. Maybe that was a good thing considering my mood. Had a spider ventured in from the outside, I would have whipped out a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher to deal with it.

But the past is the past. This morning my sweet child returned to me. I didn't force the issue by attempting a few more seconds of sleep. I opened my eyes at the first "m" of mommy. I didn't realize it yet but I feared Damien was still with me and I would end up yearning for the days when a wake-up call meant simply having my eyelids pried open.

Sweet Baby Boy returned home to his mama. Hallelujah! He even decided it was fun to play with daddy so mommy could go back to sleep for a bit.

Until it came time to eat yogurt.

For that, only mommy will do. But hey, it was almost 10 at this point so who cares? Hell I was so excited at all the sleep I got, the kid could have asked for Fruit Loops, chocolate cake, and a coke and I would have offered it up on a platinum platter for himself.

Oh and his appetite returned too. Not quite a bottomless pit at lunch but close enough. After lunch we ran to the mall. I wanted to hit a few of the sales that were going on (nothing in his current size but did stock up on some really cheap clothes one size up and mommy even got some amazing deals for herself. Why does daddy always seem to be exempt from such things? Ah, that's pondering for another day). I also knew I had to get Little Man out of the house or Damien would return tomorrow along with a few other personalities for shits and giggles.

He was very well behaved. He even honed his flirting skills a few times. And he discovered the wonder that is an escalator. A piece of technology that we take for granted entertained my son long enough for me to do some speed shopping (walk in, scan all racks in less than 2 minutes, hone in on 2 items that are the best sale price, find my size in multiple colors, pay and scram) and entertained him while we waited for a table at the Cheesecake Factory.

So Little Man returned just in the nick of time. Mommy decided to wrap his presents after all.

My only question for the day is - why did I bother wrapping presents that the kid is going to hand back to me to unwrap for him?

No comments:

Post a Comment