Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Little Man

2 years ago today the most perfect, wonderful little human being entered my life and it didn't take long for him to put the Goddess into a complete tailspin from which I have not yet recovered.

He wasn't outside my womb for an hour and I was already eating my first cold meal (cold soup and tea oh YUMMY. Thankfully hospital jello has come a long way).

He's made my heart stop on a few occasions.

He's brought me to my knees in tears.

He's dropped me dead in my tracks and put me on my ass with laughter.

He can brighten the most miserable day with a smile or a hug.

He can give a banshee a run for her money.

He's my perfect little snugglebug one moment and Damien-in-training the next.

He is the root of my biggest frustrations, my worst fears, my most glorious moments, my biggest dreams.

He's my father's revenge and my mother's payback.

He is his father's son.

He is his mother's son.

He makes me question every little decision I make.

He makes me throw responsibility to the wind in favor of jumping in puddles.

He's reawakened my love of building with blocks, coloring with crayons, and playing catch.

He can make me hop like a frog, a kangaroo, a rabbit - all in full view of the neighbors - me, not him.

2 years ago today I was scared shitless. Not only was this little tiny person my responsibility but my co-Chair in this venture was my husband. The two of us responsible for a teeny tiny life? Who the hell thought that was the responsible thing to do?

We've had our share of moments as parents. One lung wouldn't inflate when he was first born. He decided to flip in the air down the stairs at the ripe old age of 6 months. He did a dance with Lyme disease a few months back.

And he is just turning 2.

He will continue to push my patience, my blood pressure, my ticker.

He will continue to be the major source of my white hairs.

And despite the fact that it may put me in the Asylum before it is all over, I welcome what is to come. As long as he continues to give me impromptu hugs and randomly say "I love mommy", it will all be worth it.

Happy Birthday Little Man. You are loved.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Connor!

    He is not alone in the club that make us mommies lose our minds!

    ReplyDelete