Monday, January 18, 2010

Soothing one to Sleep

Little Man has discovered the phrase "I scared" so I have spent the last week or so putting him to bed and then curling up on the floor next to his bed with my blanket and pillow. I hold his hand until he falls asleep.

I thought this had gone on long enough and last night switched it up. I didn't ask him if he wanted me to stay with him. I didn't ask if he wanted me to sit on the bed with him or lay on the floor. I just sat in the glider as soon as he climbed into bed. No argument from him so I figure by the end of the week, we'll be done with this phase.

He is a mama's boy and has been for quite awhile so I wasn't sure how he'd react to Daddy putting him to bed tonight (I worked late). Well it turns out Daddy can be just as much a softy as Mom. Daddy gave him choices. Little Man chose to have Daddy sit next to the bed with his head on the mattress.

Now normally, I will hold Little Man's hand until he falls asleep. I know he is about to fall asleep when he pushes my hand away. Sometimes he will pull my arm over him and stroke it like he strokes puppy - it soothes him to sleep.

Tonight, he didn't hold Daddy's hand. He didn't reach for his arm. Nope. Tonight he caressed Daddy's head, soothing Daddy while he, Little Man, fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment