Friday, December 18, 2009

Rice Chex

I had to stay home with Little Mr. Contagious again today. The morning wasn't bad. He was content. The afternoon more than tested my patience. The Motrin wore off. He was hungry but because the damn blister on his tongue, he doesn't want to eat a lot. Basically I turned into my mother. "Don't whine. Stop whining. You can tell me what you want without whining. AAARRRRGGGH!". What did my friend call it? Ah yes, the mother's curse. My mom definitely cursed me. Her biggest pet peeve was the one thing I excelled at and now she has her payback.

But who wants to dwell on the negative? I prefer to remember the morning and all its glory. I had a very happy if not healthy child. He was content to play by himself for a good 5 minutes, would call out for some attention and then go back to playing by himself so I took advantage and started to clean. I managed to clean the first floor and most of the upstairs. The basement is such a cluster I laugh at the thought of attempting such a feat.

Little Man now loves the vacuum. He will help me for one or two pushes and then spend the rest of the time letting the vacuum chase him around. I get a clean rug. He gets a ton of laughs.

I put the vacuum away and moved onto the half bath. It takes about 3 minutes to clean. Just how much trouble can a toddler get into in 3 minutes? Oh yeah baby! That sound on the edge of my hearing set my alarms on high this time but alas, no crayons on a surface other than paper. Just a harmless box of Rice Chex.

'Oh sure baby, you can eat those".

10 seconds later my alarm is screaming yet again. He is taking the Chex out of the bag in putting them on the rug rather than in his mouth. A lecture regarding the appropriate handling of food and one bowl later I am back to wrapping up the bathroom.

Alarms SCREAMING.

Little Man normally places Cheerios one at a time from the bag into the bowl. It is what I expected with the Chex. Nope. Not this time Mama. I want to try something different. I want to try pouring the Chex into my bowl. One full size bag of Chex being poured by the less-than-skilled hands of a toddler into a toddler bowl.

I know have a mound of Chex and the crumbs from the bottom of the bag piled on my rug.

Did I mention that this was the rug I just vacuumed?

Can someone please tell me when the hell I will learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment