Monday, December 21, 2009

Narcissism x2

All the books and experts claim that babies love mirrors. So I got him a mirror early on. My son was a little late discovering the cute playmate in the mirror but man he is still making up for lost time.

Let him see a camera. He will freeze and say "CHEESE". You need a professional camera because he doesn't complete "cheese" before he is running to see himself. Pull out the video and he expects you to turn the display so he can see himself being recorded.

He points to the computer demanding to see himself (I finally got him to say his name and am now regretting it as he is in the 3rd person stage. My not quite 2 year old is being immersed in English Grammar and being taught the difference between 1st person, 2nd, etc. Basically, I am trying to teach him "I"). The computer comes out and I have to set up the Little Man slide show. He will tolerate a few non-Little Man photos inserted but very few.

He is turning into a lovely narcissist and has decided it is such a lovely way to live one's life, it must be shared. I was attempting to take non-Little Man pictures the other day while he was present. Silly Mommy. Still going after your efforts in futility.

I snap 3 of him and then have to cycle through the 3 pictures 10 times. He won't stop. I decide more pictures will distract him long enough for me to think of something else so I can safely put the camera away.

I ask if he'd like his picture taken with puppy (big puppy, not little puppy. Damn I need to come up with names. He sure as hell isn't). I snap a couple and he is running to see. This time he is dragging puppy with him. As he looks, he points to himself and then gets all excited.

"PUPPY!"

Yes dear. That's puppy.

"PUPPY! PUPPY!"

He wasn't talking to me. He was talking to puppy. He shoves puppy's face up to the camera so he can see himself. He then has puppy kiss his own image on the camera.

I didn't realize Narcissism was capable of loving company.

No comments:

Post a Comment