Friday, February 26, 2010

Wake Up Call

Last night we had some more success with sleep habits. Little Man went down and didn't wake up until his usual 4 AM trip to our bed. I scooped him up as I do every morning and tossed, I mean, gently placed him in between us. 99.9% of the time, he curls up and goes back to sleep.

.1% was last night. 4 AM and he is WIDE AWAKE. At 4:20 he is smacking me asking for yogurt.

Is the sun up?

No.

Then it is still bed time. Its still sleep time.

No. Yo gurt.

Sleep.

Yo gurt.

Time to sleep.

Football?

I gave up that losing battle and chose to pick another - convincing John that he should get up with Little Man. My argument? I didn't get home from work until after midnight. Yes he was still up but that was his choice. We went to bed at the same time. He fell asleep shortly after his head slammed the pillow. I stared at the ceiling for close to an hour. Therefore, he got more sleep than me. Hey - at 4:30, there is a huge difference between 4 hours of sleep and 3 hours of sleep.

Somehow I managed to win but it was a short-lived victory. An hour later, Little Man does his banshee impression. We now run the risk of waking the neighbors so I stumble downstairs.

Damn you'd think he had the worst father in the world. No, you cannot watch Cars at 5:30 AM child. I take him and John, giving up, heads off for a shower. Little Man is snuggling in so I take him upstairs. He stops snuggling when we reach his room. He's figured me out. He hears the shower and takes off running for daddy.

He starts to walk into the bathroom. I jump at the opportunity and climb back into bed.

NO MOMMY!

Arms up. Toss him next to me.

Hell hath no fury like a man forced out of bed by wife and child at 4:30 AM; who gives up the hope of getting any more sleep and jumps in the shower; who emerges from the shower to find the two little shits that forced him out of his nice warm bed snuggled up in said bed snoring peacefully away.

He dresses Little Man and starts to take him downstairs.

No buddy, mommy had to work late last night. Let mommy sleep.

No sarcasm. No anger. Calm and sweet.

Hell hath no fury and he can be a very patient man when he needs to be...

Damn if Karma doesn't have a wonderful visit planned for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment