Saturday, February 13, 2010

Silly Mama

I've been a mom for a whopping 2 years and 1 month. Occasionally an eternity but mostly a blink of an eye. What's the biggest thing I've learned so far? I am the Indiana Jones of Mothers. I'm making it up as I go along.

This afternoon was a test of my patience. Waking up from his nap, Little Man was in a great mood which deteriorated quicker than a puddle in the desert.

His speech has been improving greatly. Not only is he attempting harder words (dinosaur, stegosaurus, brontosaurus - he balked at Tyrannosaurus Rex yet again but I'm holding firm), he's also enunciating better. I've noticed him slowing down and trying to pronounce his words better. He's also correcting phrases. It's no longer "I get you" after he's actually caught me but "I got you".

Applesauce is still soup though but I haven't attempted to correct that one yet. I did get him to stop referring to Motrin as soup. I found that too disturbing.

You would have called me a liar this afternoon. All he did was whine. Sweet Mother, I've turned into my mother. Whining has become my biggest pet peeve. It grates my nerves and today it really grated. I had an extremely hard time keeping it together, reminding him gently not to whine and helping him "use his words". I can't tell you how many times I had to leave the room, take a ton of deep breaths, smiled until it hurt and then walk back in.

I caught myself starting to snap just in time and managed to keep the "Don't whine" as a sharp "comment" rather than a full-on roar.

I started to dial the phone. I needed to vent and who do I vent to but my mom. Then I decided that was a bad idea. She would have no choice but to laugh, long and hard - gut-busting, rib-splitting laughter. It would be her vengeance and damn it, I'm not ready to give that to her yet!

So instead I taught my son a phrase he will use a lot in his lifetime:

"Silly Mama".

No comments:

Post a Comment