Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lady bugs, hot dogs and chicken

We had a good night tonight. Little Man managed to pick up a tiny ant without squashing it and let it crawl all over his hand and arm laughing and yelling "It tickles!" the entire time. He was enthralled. Of course he was calling it a lady bug but hey what's the difference?

It took several minutes to get him in the house. I had to bribe him with a banana. I was carrying my stuff and his stuff. My arm was about to fall off. Normally when we walk in, he starts demanding I take his shoes off (mom's house rule - no shoes). Tonight he took off running for the bathroom.

"Bye! See you morrow!" As he shuts himself in.

Bye. Don't forget to take your shoes off.

He opens the door.

"Bye! See you morrow!" As he shuts himself in.

Bye. Don't forget to take your shoes off.

Et cetera. Et cetera. Et cetera.

I coughed up the promised banana which immediately prompted a request for a hot dog, no chicken, no hot dog, no chicken, no....

Do you want a hot dog or chicken for dinner?

"Yes."

He eats. He plays. I get some cleaning done. I move upstairs in order to vacuum his room. He still isn't a fan of the vacuum. I'm half way through his room when he changes his mind and decides he wants to come up with me. He helps me finish his room so I decide to continue with the guest room and the hallway.

Bad idea. His comfort level has plummetted and he ends up curled up in his bed with paci and puppy crying his poor little eyes out. Man does he hate the vacuum. I stop. I soothe. I convince him to let me finish the hallway and then we are back downstairs to play.

Comfort level does not increase. He pops himself in the head with his puzzle's "fishing rod". Wrap him in my arms and pull him into my lap and he calms.

Then out of the blue, he decides he wants yogurt. He hasn't been on a yogurt kick in weeks. Whew, thankfully I have some in the fridge. Aw shit - expiration date is way past. Melt down ensues. I walk away. He follows. Whew. Needed him out of the kitchen in order to distract and I am successful!

For 5 minutes. He starts to melt again. This time he asks for his paci. Nope. No way. You only get that if you are going to bed.

"PACI! I want my PACI!"

You only get your paci at bed time. You know the rules.

"Ok. I clean up now"

It is 6:30 PM. Bed time is an hour away. He doesn't care. He cleans up his toys, hands me puppy and asks to be picked up. It's an hour before bed time and he's ready. I carry him upstairs expecting him to change his mind.

Nope. He plops his little behind on the changing pad. Helps me put his PJs on. Picks out books and says he wants to sit in my lap for books. Instead of the usual 3 books, I read him 4. When we finished the 4th, I was prepared to grab a 5th but Little Man had other plans. He scrambles down from my lap and climbs into bed. It isn't even 7 PM yet. I turn on his night light. He tells me to turn it off. Who the hell is this kid?

Now before you think he promptly put his head on his pillow (he did) and promptly went to sleep - he didn't.

All and all it was good. It was fun. It makes me regret having to work tomorrow. Good thing its Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment