Saturday, May 15, 2010

Camping out

We ran an experiment tonight. John is camping out with Little Man in the living room. They are supposed to head north to visit Granny and Grandpop soon. The Irish Contingency is moving in with Granny and Grandpop. The house is not big enough to house them never mind throwing my husband and imp into the mix.

So John decided a trial run was in order. After putting him in his pjs we told him we had a surprise for him. John grabbed his pillow and books. Little Man was confused. He grasped Puppy, Monkey, and Lion and then me in a death grip.

We went to the living room and I laid out his sleeping bag and pillow. Excitement set in. I breathed a little easier. John read to him and then it was time for bed. He headed for the stairs.

No baby. You and Daddy (I accidentally typed Daffy - freudian?) are camping out in the living room tonight.

Huh?

We get him in his sleeping bag. John gets comfortable on the couch (cheater). I shut out the lights. No go. He wants lights on. I try lights down the hall. I get his night light from the room. Nope. He wants the hall light on. Ok.

I walk back into the living room to kiss him goodnight. He looks like he is bordering on being terrified. I try to talk him down. He realizes I am not staying and grabs on tight to me. I explain that Daddy is staying with him and if he's not comfortable he can go upstairs to his room. It takes a minute or two. I am just about to give up and let him go upstairs when he changes his mind and decides to give it a try.

I head downstairs fully expecting to hear them marching upstairs within a few minutes. That was several hours ago. I just went upstairs to raid the fridge. John is on the floor next to Little Man. They are both snoring away.

Step one was a success. Now to see what happens around 4 AM - his normal time to crawl into my side of the bed. Gates secured. Mommy is getting sleep tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment