Saturday, November 21, 2009

Last Child

I was fighting with my laptop last night. Actually, I was fighting with my router and the router was winning. I was definitely not at my best. I would get extremely frustrated, give up, and then refuse to be beaten and try again, get frustrated... It went on for what seemed like hours. It probably felt like weeks to my poor husband sitting next to me willing me to shut the hell up and chill the freak out.

While this is going on, I hear music over the monitor. It is distant so at first I think the neighbors may be having a party but no. I shove the monitor up to my husband's ear (you expect your child to pick up your bad habits not the other way around). He says it is probably just interference. In my head I am thinking no way. Those days are over. It's digital. So being the smart woman I am, I ignore my instincts and listen to my brilliant husband (after all he wasn't the one who killed the router's IP address).

Awhile later I still hear the music and I know I am not losing my mind. Then something pops into my head.

"Honey, did Little Man have my iPod by any chance?"

"Yeah, I took it away from him".

"Mmmm. Yeah, his new favorite toy. That's my iPod playing in his room."

Climb 2 flights of stairs and sneak into his room. Yup - I can hear the iPod loud and clear. Aerosmith's Last Child is going full blast through the buds. Not only did the kid manage to set up his own play list (he fell asleep to System of a Down!) but he also set 2 alarms; DC time and Abu Dhabi time. Didn't realize he had his passport. I am so glad I caught the alarms. 3 AM kid. Really? I didn't bother trying to figure out the time difference for Abu Dhabi. Knowing my kid, he managed to set them both for 3 AM.

I've been griping about how he'd expect his own laptop for 1st grade, if not kindergarten and a cell shortly after. I never once thought he'd be expecting an iPod for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment