Tuesday, November 10, 2009

3 Years Today

3 years ago today I stood at the top of the aisle on my brother's arm staring at the most handsome man. The minister had said to pause for a moment so everyone could see me. My brother had to put the brakes on me. He told me to wait. "But he's right there!".

"Wait"

"But he's right THERE".

3 years ago today, I forgot the 120 guests gathered. I forgot the Minister. I forgot the bouquet in my hand. And I forgot I was in a huge ass dress and heels. Even if my brother did allow me to run down the aisle, the dress and heels would have applied brakes all on their own and not the anti-lock kind either.

3 years ago today, once again, my brother proved stronger, kept me from face planting in front of 120 guests and led me gently (and way too freaking slow for my tastes) down the aisle to my moments-to-be husband.

I've been told by friends who know me all too well that I found my perfect match, my soul mate and even when we face challenges, bicker, and fight, I know it to be true. What stands out the most to me from the last 3 years besides the look on his face as I walked down the aisle?

Playing thumb wars during the ceremony so both of us could hold it together.
The tear in his eye when I showed him the pregnancy test.
The look of sheer joy the first time he held our son.
The truly childlike joy and laughter when he pulled our 4 day old son's arm over and over again and over and over our son farted (over and over as I begged him to stop, clutching my stitches and trying so hard not to laugh myself. I failed).
His unwavering support each time the loss of my dad becomes unbearable.
The look of horror on his face when it came time to change the first diaper and how someone who had never changed a diaper in his life accomplished it like a pro.
His never-ending promise that all I'll get for birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc., is a hand shake.

3 years married. 5 years together total. A very short time on one hand. A wonderfully long time on the other. 3 years celebrated in quiet fashion.

Happy Anniversary baby. I love you. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment