Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Flying

I love to fly. I still get the same deep-in-your-stomach excitement whenever I go some place new just like I did when I was little. Takeoff brings a grin to my face. A window seat is a must. See the world from 33K feet is one of the coolest things. Cooler would be from space but I don’t think I could pass the physical.

The plane ride today was a special treat. There were clouds over Atlanta. Not wispy, wimpy clouds but full, fluffy, what kind of animals can you see clouds. I spent the last 20 minutes of the flight watching a dog morph into a baby morph into an old man. I saw a giant who was either yawning or screaming. The best? A mini shredded wheat guy with his hand on his back grimacing in pain. I will never look at those commercials the same way again.

I enjoyed my childish day dreams until the clouds cleared and Atlanta came into site. I watched cookie cutter neighborhoods roll by (big houses, big yards but no pools. What’s wrong with these people?). We approached a commercial area and what could have been an office park or shopping area. I was trying to decipher which when I realized the answer was right in front of me. On the roof of one building – yes, the roof – was a big ole BJs and a few roofs down – a big ole bull’s eye. BJs and Target have taken marketing to a whole new level. The Space Station doesn’t have a large enough potential clientele for them so I figure they are targeting the UFOs in the hopes that one will decide Atlanta is a great vacation spot and then spread the word. I wonder if they are angling to be the largest Target in the Milky Way. There is, after all, a Roswell, GA.

2 comments: