Monday, August 8, 2011

Sounds like a deal

Whenever we got stuck behind someone driving slow and holding up traffic during the commute home, my father would always comment that the driver must have a lousy home life as he is in no rush to get there. I'm the opposite - I fly home. My current commute is a whopping 10 minutes but that doesn't stop me from "staying with traffic".

Little Man started a tradition of wearing out the doorbell whenever he came home with John. A habit my grandfather must have whispered in his ear as payback. So on days when he is home with John, I get to do it to him. Some days he giggles and hides from me. Other days he drops what he's doing, screeches "MOMMY!" and flies to open the door for me. It is the latter reaction I speed home for.

His reactions of late leaving me clutching my sides. This evening he wanted to play with his Busytown game but the blocks were scattered all over the floor. House rule: before starting with a new activity, clean up from the previous. Unfortunately, mommy was involved in the block fiasco so I was promptly informed that I made a mess and needed to clean it up right away... but he would help. Held tilted to the side - almost a perfect mimic of me.

He's also learning to negotiate. House rule: no making separate meals. What is for dinner is for dinner. You will at least try everything put on your plate. Unfortunately that house rule needs to be adjusted. This evenings dinner was a watermelon and feta salad. I expected him to eat the watermelon, not the feta. Never assume woman. Never assume. After almost picking the salad clean of cheese, he announced he was done. He'd tried a cucumber earlier and I knew he wouldn't eat the lettuce as he's not a fan so I began to strategize how to get him to eat a little more. He had other ideas.

"Mommy I want a wrap. I didn't have a wrap today. I need a wrap".

A wrap? Just a wrap? You're going to eat just a wrap?

"OK, I'll have turkey and cheese and ketchup with my wrap. That sound like a deal?"

When will he learn that the rules do not allow for him to use my own strategies against me?

No comments:

Post a Comment