Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Potty Training Part 2

A fully potty trained child seems like a myth, an unattainable dream. Then I remind myself of all the individuals I know who managed to successfully summit this mountain; of the other mountains my son has climbed and how long it took him to summit each of those. First I thought I'd be sending him to kindergarten with a bottle. Then I thought I'd still be packing pureed meals his freshman year in high school. Then I was convinced I'd be sending care packages complete with pacifiers to his dorm room.

Slow and steady may win the race but fast and furious is kinder on my wallet kiddo. Pullups are not cheap.

So we beg, plead, cheer, reward, hype, reinforce, yada yada yada. Four is just around the corner and if he stays true to form, two weeks past his birthday, this milestone will kick in full gear. At least the is the current carrot I dangle in front of myself.

And this all ties in nicely to another "first" experienced yesterday. Little Man experienced his first earthquake. For all intent and purpose it was my first one too. I never really felt the previous one. It was more like a 18 wheeler driving by a little too fast.

This one was definitely stronger. I heard it before I felt it; undulating metal being dragged. When solid ground is no longer solid your brain has a hard time processing the proper course of action. Thankfully it was over almost immediately and although we watched the walls and floor move, there was no damage. This is not an experience I feel the need to repeat.

Little Man wholeheartedly agrees. The timing was perfect for daycare. All the children were asleep and only a few woke because of it. All except my son. Was he fast asleep in his cot clutching his precious puppy, chewing on his ear dreaming of Hersey kisses and air planes? Nope. Not even close. He wasn't even in the room with the other kids. He was sitting on the potty.

"THE WALLS ARE MOVING! THE FLOOR IS MOVING!" (the sky is falling....).

Now do you understand why I say this whole potty training thing is unattainable? Thanks a lot Mother Nature. How the hell am I supposed to convince this kid that the chances of him experiencing another earthquake (as long as he stays on the east coast with his mother) are slim to none at best?  And just for the record - I am perfectly capable of scarring my own son. I do not need your help. Understood? So get your damn plates in order and keep 'em there. At least for the next 6-9 months OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment