Monday, July 6, 2009

Be Careful What You Ask

My son is testing his boundaries. He has learned that standing in the bath is not allowed. He still requires an occasional reminder but once reminded, he promptly plants his butt and does not push that boundary again at least again during that particular bath.

Standing on the couch is one boundary he has not learned and continues to push. Bah and Bah-Bo counting to 3 elicits gales of giggles. Grabbing his thighs and planting him on his butt is a glorious game in his mind. So glorious that it must be repeated countless times for the next 20 minutes. This kid is a knuckleballer and we are striking out. Time for the switch hitter.

Bah: On your butt.

LM: giggle giggle

Bah: If you don’t sit down, you will go on the floor. Do you want to play on the floor?

LM: Shakes his head

Bah: Then on your butt. There is no standing on the furniture in this house

LM: giggle giggle giggle

I plop him on the floor and go to my happy place in a vain attempt to block him out as he morphs into a banshee. He attempts to climb the couch but I’m blocking his every move without making eye contact. As he slowly morphs back to a boy, he stands in front of me mournfully begging to be allowed back on the couch with the biggest, saddest eyes.

Bah (in a very stern I’m-the-mommy-and-I-mean-business voice): If I let you back up are you going to stand on the couch?

LM (with the most innocent, angelic expression ever experienced by a mortal ): Nod, nod, nod.

Hey, at least my kid is honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment