Monday, May 2, 2011

The Three Ps - Pee, Poop, and Potty

Slowly slowly slowly we puff up the potty train mountain. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

I hope I can. I hope I can. I hope I can.

I wish he would. I wish he would. I wish he would.

My mantra changes almost as quickly as I change his underwear and pants.

I arrive at daycare last night and he's moved to the 3s. We have the lovely chore of driving to the airport to pick up Amah. I am looking forward to my mother coming into town. I am not looking forward to the myriad of things that can go wrong on a trip to and from Dulles with a potty-training child. I present him with his two choices - he can either go to the potty right before we leave or he can put on a pull up. His choice? The pull up.

WHAAAT? I literally almost fell over. I was not expecting that. Turns out they just went to the potty shortly before I arrived so I decide he is good to go. I have a change of clothes in the car and what's the worse that can happen? I'll have to wash the car seat cover.

Of course we run into horrendous traffic and I must take back roads but we arrive as my mom arrives. We circle twice before she is outside. All is well. And then there is the traffic on the way home. Several times Little Man gets a little too quiet and I fight hard to quell the panic building in the pit of my stomach. We arrive home safely and more importantly - dry.

Zero accidents that evening and much success requesting he use the potty but the biggest surprise presented itself this morning. My precious darling son stayed dry all night. I was in shock. I almost cried. With the progress we've had I did not expect to hit the dry nights for at least 6 months. He's napping now. In a pull up but I am oh so hopeful.


I never posted this one. Screwed the pooch on that one. I laugh reading it now. Oh the naivete! So many months later and you can kiss the dry through the night good-bye (shortly after I initially wrote this). He doesn't where a pull-up at nap time because he doesn't nap any more. We walk downstairs most days with at least 5 pairs of underwear. It is a good day if there are 3 pairs left when we go up at bed time. Daycare has few issues. We are still on high alert at home. Pee isn't as much of an issue any more. He's gotten that part down. Sometimes he gets a little caught up with his playing and forgets but we've been pretty good about making sure he hits the bathroom every couple of hours. No, the whole pooping in the potty is our problem. We've discussed, begged, pleaded, cajoled, bribed... all for naught. He flat out refuses to poop in the potty with us.

John created a new rule tonight. Little Man's disdain for sweets was short-lived. He's discovered a love for Reeses which has morphed into a love of all things chocolate (apparently he is my boy after all). Today John asked if he needed to go potty. Little Man said no and promptly proceeded to poop in his underwear. The rule used to be Little Man could have a Reeses (we have Reeses minis in the candy dish pretty much all the time thanks to my addiction) after lunch and after dinner. After today's episode, John amended the rule. No more Reeses unless he poops in the potty. I don't know how I feel about this rule but I'll admit to being at a loss. Nothing seems to work. This rule was made when I wasn't at home so I will support it and we'll see what happens. I don't always agree with everything John does but damn it, the man has a nasty tendency of proving me wrong. I'm hoping he continues his streak.

1 comment:

  1. (((HUGS))) Landon started training almost a year ago and for the most part does pretty good, but every so often he goes through a phase where he pees his pants. Luckily no pooping in his pants, just pee - and I am starting to think it is a power struggle thing with him. He peed on my couch the other day. "It happens, Mommy." I was so mad... we've always told him that just because we didn't want to give him a complex, but this time, I marched him to his room and made him change his clothes and lay down for nap time, and I told him that it doesn't just happen all the time (this is after several days of 2-3 accidents a day, following months of staying dry 24 hours a day), and that an accident is once in awhile, not all the time. I think I upset him and I regret that, but I don't understand the yo-yoing. Anyway, just letting you know I understand. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete