Saturday, May 7, 2011

Plan A, Plan B, and a Bandaid

We spend our days witnessing first hand Out of the Mouths of Babes.
This morning we headed out for the airshow. We took back roads so Little Man could see horses. One road in particular is my favorite - hilly and windy. We approached a blind curve and I had to slam on my brakes to avoid slamming into the back of a landscaping truck as the moronic driver thought stopping the truck just beyond line of sight was a brilliant idea. John and I are both left muttering and stuttering. Our combined reactions cause Little Man some trepidation so I am now trying to calm him and explain why mommy and daddy are so upset.

"Mommy! It is MY turn to talk now" he remarks curtly. "That man make me mad. He almost hurt me. He a pain in my butt!"

We proceed to the air show. They are running school buses as shuttles from the parking lot to the airport. Have I ever mentioned that Little Man does not like loud noise? John and I knew this whole adventure could be short lived. We never expected it to crash and burn before it got off the ground. The school buses proved to be too loud. Little Man wouldn't get on. Pointing out the other children who were riding the bus did no good. His terror had control. So we headed back to the car and moved onto Plan B.

The nursery up the road from us was having their Spring Fling. It included a petting zoo and pony rides. Have I mentioned Little Man is terrified of all animals? Great Plan B eh? We figured he could have a hot dog or two and at least look at the animals. The ice cream truck was at the entrance. First thing he wanted was an ice cream. He doesn't eat ice cream. I convinced him he wanted a hot dog. As we head up we pass the petting zoo. I decide to show him the animals.

That little imp went into the enclosure. He walked right up to the goat and petted her. He walked right up to the chicks and the chickens. He petted both. He walked right up to the ducklings. He damn near chased them down. He even sat down and held a bunny. I practically had to drag him out of there so other kids could have a turn.

We moved onto hot dogs and found a seat with a perfect line of site of the ponies. I dare not get my hopes up. Before we could get him to sit down to eat he announced he was riding a pony. I didn't get my hopes up. He ate. He announced he was riding a pony. We got in line. He wanted to ride the big pony. We waited. Our turn arrived. He announced he wanted the small pony. I put him in the saddle. I never expected him to let go of me. I expected terror. I expected panic. I expected a meltdown. I got a nervous look but I didn't get shear panic. I didn't get tears. I didn't get a child begging to back out. He wasn't ecstatic but he completed the ride.

So while we didn't have much luck in the noise realm today we did have some major success in the animal realm. He even survived his first splinter which led to a band aid which led to...

"Mommy you have to carry me. I have band aid. Mommy I can't walk. I have band aid. Mommy I can't get undressed. I have band aid."

No comments:

Post a Comment