Monday, May 2, 2011

The Return, Brain Cells, White Hair and a Suprise

I know. I fell off the face of the earth for a few months there. For the first time ever, words failed me. I started to write countless time and each time my brain froze. Usually writing helps me clear my head and put life in perspective. Apparently I was having a little too much perspective.

John was laid off at the end of January and shortly after that, I was under some pressure to move my family to the middle of nowhere, IL. Thankfully the move didn't come to fruition and the stress level in this house has dropped dramatically. Trying to act as if nothing is wrong in front of a preschooler is a lot harder than I thought. I failed miserably.

There are silver linings to everything right? Yes, even I have my sappy moments and look for silver linings. John being home freed me up at the right time to put in some extra hours at work. He also stepped up when it came to housework. I distinctly remember one weekend shortly after he had been laid off. He went to take Little Man outside to play. I decided to take advantage and do some cleaning.

Clean what? he asked.

The bathrooms?

Did that.

Vacuum?

Did that.

The kitchen?

Did that.

So what the hell am I supposed to do?

Come outside and play with us.

So while my hours at worked increased, my time spent at home was not revolving around cleaning and laundry. It has been nice. Very very nice. Not all roses though. Being out of a job has been tough on John. He doesn't know how not to work and it is driving him crazy. I've joked with him. Called him my Stepford husband. He's quite good at it - the house is clean, the shopping and laundry done. Hell, he'll even have dinner ready when I get home. Now if I could just get him to greet me at the door with a beer.... I'll let you fill in the blanks as to what his response to that was.

John has gained patience in dealing with Little Man. Mine has diminished. We've experienced the Terrible 3s and I've gotten creative in my solutions. Potty training has been a success and yet a complete failure. Little Man is getting smarter. I'm losing brain cells and gaining white hair.

And through it all he's kept us laughing. According to his birth certificate, his middle name is McGaughrin. According to him it is THE Gaughrin.

Then tonight, at bedtime he whispers to me: we got slippers but shhh. It's a surprise.

Anyone want to guess what my Mother's Day present is?

No comments:

Post a Comment