Friday, May 13, 2011

Pick Your Battles

We’ve all heard the phrase “Pick you battles”. When used in relation to child-rearing, picking your battles can be very beneficial to your health as laughter is healthy and the unplanned end result of your choice can leave you full of laughter.

Once again Little Man excelled at Procrastination last night with two trips to the potty. After trip #2 he made a valiant stall attempt in the hallway. When Mommy’s will proved too steadfast he made his way back into his room; his room not his bed. Instead of crawling into bed, he curled up behind the glider. Now this is his “hiding spot” during our nightly Where’s My Baby routine. Since we had already done that routine an hour earlier, I was not rehashing it. I also didn’t want to rehash the near meltdown from the hallway a moment earlier so I picked my battle. He was in his room. What’s the big deal if he isn’t in his bed? As he curled up on the floor, I asked if that is where he planned on sleeping. Upon receiving a positive response, I said great! Have a good night. I love you. I will see you in the morning and with that, I walked out.
That was the last we heard from him. No more calls for help on the potty. No more pleas for the dog song (My Favorite Things) or Hush Little Baby. It was silence on the top floor – glorious silence.
Several hours later, as I made my way to bed myself, I checked in on him. Out of habit I went straight for the bed. Finding it empty I remembered he curled up behind the chair. I was slightly taken aback. I had honestly expected him to crawl into bed shortly after we left. He did go to bed after we left – to get his blanket but he did not return to his spot behind the glider. Seeing the empty spot left my quite confused. The only logical place for him to be would be our room but I had gone to our room before going to his. I didn’t remember seeing him. Was he curled under a blanket and I hadn’t noticed? Was he curled up on the floor and I just didn’t see him? Or had he actually gone into Amah’s room (the guest bedroom) and curled up there?

I turned to go look when something caught my eye. I think I pulled a muscle in a lame attempt to keep from laughing out loud. I immediately ran for the camera and managed to snap a few without waking the child. I then went downstairs to John. “You will never guess where your son is sleeping”


I didn't move the hamper for the picture. He moved it himself. Yes. My son curled up to sleep in the closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment