Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas at the Browns

Ah Christmas. I look forward to it every year. It was always a time of great joy as a child. It wasn't just the presents. It was the food and the family. Everyone came to our house. One side of the family would come for dinner. The other half would come later for second dinner and desert. Adults talking. Kids running and playing. I loved the craziness of it all. Family gatherings were wonderful.

But nothing last forever and our annual tradition ended a bit abruptly. In a blink we were left to build a new tradition. It took a bit to recover from the shock but we did build a new tradition; a quieter celebration in the White Mountains and I treasure those memories just as much as those of our lost tradition.

But children grow and start families of their own. Eventually the White Mountains faded from the tradition. By that time we had learned to adapt and change. Then Dad died and the joy of Christmas was gone. I did not think it would return. John tried on our first Christmas. He introduced me to Black Velvets and the tradition stuck. It was hard those first years without Dad. I spent a good portion of the day fighting tears and the rest giving into it. It wasn't the same without Dad.

Then Little Man entered our lives and I knew things would improve. As I prepare each year I regret that he is growing up so far from his cousins as my cousins were such an integral part of my childhood. I yearn to go back to the good ole days of the whole family gathering at one house; adults talking; children wreaking havoc.

His first two Christmases were more for me than for him as he was too young to understand but this year was different. This year I thought he would start to grasp it. I introduced him to Santa through the Night Before Christmas. I introduced him to the Grinch, The Polar Express, and Frosty. He was in love. He was excited.

A week or so before Christmas we made the mistake of referencing his birthday. He jumped on the bandwagon and has been clinging to it with all his might since. Forget Christmas. He wants his birthday cake (even though he has never actually eaten his cake. He just likes the idea of his cake).

We put him to bed Christmas Eve attempting to induce dreams of Santa and all his reindeer. He only wants to talk about his Birthday. 6 AM Christmas morning he crawls into bed with us but decides it is no longer sleepy time. "Mommy, I go downstairs. You come with me?". John and I both snap awake.

Do you think Santa came? I asked.

"No. Santa no come".

Well let's go downstairs and see.

Oh crap, we left the snack out for Santa. We didn't make cookies this year so we asked Little Man what snack he thought Santa would like. "GOLDFISH!" So I helped him put a bowl of Gold Fish out for Santa after we sprinkled oats on the front lawn for the reindeer. Little Man decided the fish were for him and Santa wanted soup (applesauce) instead. John had to excuse himself from our room to go down some blueberry applesauce. Upon his return, we convinced Little Man we should go check for signs that Santa had been here.

The living room is across from the stairs so he was able to see all the presents around the tree. It didn't register with him. So we tell him we'll go check the stockings which were hung on the mantle, over the fireplace which is in the dining room. It didn't register.

I didn't wrap the stocking stuffers. Hey, you try wrapping toy airplanes and helicopters that aren't packaged and see how well you do. That turned out to be wise and he dove in. He sat in front of the fireplace flying his planes and helicopters. I asked if he wanted to check out the presents under the tree. He ignored me. I took advantage and prepped the roast for the crock pot.

Some how, we convinced him to move to the living room and made the horrible mistake of having him open a couple of books first. He wasn't in the mood for reading so he stopped with the presents. After much cajoling, I convinced him to open one I knew was a toy.

"What is it Mommy? Open it Mommy! I play Mommy!"

And play he did. With that one present. It took hours. Actually, it took two days. He finally opened the last present the day after Christmas. The poor child was overwhelmed and exhausted. So overwhelmed in fact that he didn't jump back on the birthday wagon until today. Actually he jumped on the birthday cake wagon. When I mentioned presents his face went blank.

Last year his favorite present was a plasma car courtesy of my sister. When my sister's presents arrived for him this year I was thrilled and cursing her out at the same time. I was thrilled because I couldn't wait to play with them - magnetic building shapes and magnetic truck pieces. I was cursing her out because for a second year in a row she was going to outdo his parents. Its one thing to buy the cool present one year. It is a whole other thing to do it two years in a row.

Then the presents from the sister-in-law arrived. Tonka stunt tracks. So now I'm cursing out both of them. How dare they both gang up on me like that with no warning? How dare they try to outdo me? How DARE they?

Each year John and I make a list 8-10 presents that we will buy for Little Man and split between his birthday and Christmas. I did a pretty good job of sticking to it. Unfortunately we didn't discuss stocking stuffers and in my multiple shopping expeditions I kept forgetting how many planes and helicopters I had already purchased. Nothing budget breaking though.

On one excursion I saw something called HexBugs. The box said 3+ so I checked it out. I didn't think there was any way a 3 year old would be interested but our neighbor insisted they were awesome and he would love them. So that was my one splurge. Little did I realize my little splurge would be my saving grace.

He LOVES them. Yeah the blocks and trucks are cool and he enjoys playing with them. Yes he giggles in glee watching the dump truck and fire engine do their stunts but he LOVES his hexbugs. I should have bought spare batteries because at this rate, I'll need them by this weekend. He's even discovered they will work on the train track just not as much fin to watch.

I DID it! I WIN! I'm still COOL!

And incredibly immature.








No comments:

Post a Comment