Friday, March 23, 2012

Karma Requires a (Twisted) Sense of Humor

Karma has an amazing sense of humor if not truly twisted.

So a few months back, my sweet darling husband thought it would be a good idea for us to bet on the Redskins/Patriots game. Ya'll know how well that worked out for him.  He's been saying for awhile he can't wait for the Rangers to meet the Bruins in the playoffs. He plans on his Rangers crushing the B's so he never has to where a certain sweatshirt/t-shirt ever again. He may even be planning a shirt-burning party.

He did not foresee his ultimate payback.

So we've been married for 5 years now. Five years and we still have separate bank accounts, credit cards, etc., etc., etc. That arrangement worked fine but recently we've been talking about switching to a joint bank account. In the process we decided it was time to consolidate credit cards as well. We'll keep his and add me to it. I'll dump one of mine and add him to my other card.

Apparently after 5 years we've decided we'll keep each other so it's OK to officially merge finances. As usual, John is faster to respond then the Queen Procrastinator. He put in the request with his bank to add me to his card. It arrived today.

Apparently our thoughts on what is/is not apparent was off. I'm just glad I didn't close out my bank accounts and dump everything into his bank yet.

My darling husband customized his credit card over 10 years ago when he got it.

The bank sent me my card with my very own name on it.

Customized just like his.

Ms. Born-and-bread-died-in-the-wool-hard-core-never-forget-where-you-came-from-all-things-NY-sucks-Beantown-Rocks-OFD-Mother@#$%#$-and-Proud-of-It is the proud (sic) owner of her very own.... oh I'm ill just having to type this..... Yankees credit card.

Well Karma may have met her match. I'm calling my bank and asking for a very special customized card with his name on it.

A one-of-a-kind Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins, and Democrat credit card. 4 corners to a credit card. 4 logos. Oh yeah baby.

1 comment:

  1. I wish we could customize cards. But then we rarely use credit cards - they are evil.

    We've been married 17 years and we still keep separate bank accounts. We do have a joint account that we pool funds but my money is mine and his money is his. (For emergency reasons we are named to each other's account but we are the sole managers of our accounts.)

    We agree on any purchases over $200 that are for personal use...well most of the time. I have a "You do not talk to me about my shoes" rule and he says "Ditto my CDs." and we're happy. Keeping a level of financial autonomy in the relationship works for us. It's always been other people who keep telling us we should grow up and have a joint account. As if keeping separate accounts somehow hints that we aren't invested in our partnership. Bullshit. Complete tosh. What it means is there's no animosity about why one is spending money on things the other thinks is irrelevant. This comes down to trust. "Aren't you worried he's spending money on ..." Nope. The bills are paid and I trust him. He trusts me too...and I have to be worthy of that trust by not being silly with my money where he has to bail me out of a problem. This arrangement encourages more communication; we have a firmer grasp of our finances as a result.

    So don't sweat it and don't let anyone tell you having separate accounts in any way diminishes your relationship. I think the putting Democrat corners on the credit card will have that part covered.

    Just my buttinski 2¢

    ReplyDelete