Monday, March 19, 2012

Big Trouble

Sunday 10 PM. I've just finished my workout and shower when there is a knock on the bathroom door.

"Mommy, I'm not tired".

So I should ignore the red eyes and toothpicks?

"Yeah, I'm not tired and I don't want to be alone anymore".

So of course I tell him to crawl into my bed while I braid my hair. I lay out strict ground rules: lie down, close your eyes, go to sleep AND NO TALKING.

He fails. Miserably. 5 minutes after I crawl into bed and crack open my book.

What happens when you don't listen?

"I get into big trouble?"

Exactly. I told you to lie down, close your eyes go to sleep and no talking. Did you listen?

"Ummmm. No?"

No you didn't listen so now you need to return to your room.

Huge sigh for such a little body. "Oh OKAY".

He slides off the bed, slumps his shoulders and walks into his bedroom.

Wait a second. Rewind that.... Where's the NOOOOO. Where the whining? Where's the Mother of All Tantrums?

Oh OKAY? That's it? And you are off to your room with no argument?

Seriously - who are you and what have you done with my child? No, no, no, no. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not exactly suggesting you should go get him and bring him back. Maybe not entirely....

Fast forward to breakfast this morning. For the life of me I can't remember what he was about to get upset about. It's not like I'd had my coffee yet. I stopped him just as the whine started to slip out and asked him what happens when he whines, won't take no for an answer and/or throws a tantrum.

"I get in big trouble?".

Yes. Now do you remember last night? Uh huh. And do you remember how well you handled it? How you didn't cry or whine or throw a tempter tantrum? Yes and mommy is very proud of you for being so mature.

Yes, mature. I used the word mature with a 4-year old and then am left struggling with a 4-year old definition of "mature". Before I've had coffee. I'm impressed I could even conjure the word and now I have to define it? Sheesh, when will I learn.

It means you proved to me you really are a big boy. It's a very good thing honey. A big compliment.

Et voila. I've found my magic trick for the week. So, who wants to start a pool as too how long my new, calm-collected-always-in-control-no-nonsense-accepted attitude continues to work with this child? Bonus points if you can come up with the exact scenario in which it fails because the key to this whole thing really seems to be me remaining 100% calm, cool, and collected.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try that with my 12 year old. I wonder if it'll be as miraculous with a child flush with puberty hormones??

    ReplyDelete