Wednesday, June 6, 2012

To Have... or not to have

I have one child. A son.

For the record I done. No I am not having anymore.

The craving is gone.

I'm happy with what I have.

And yet people feel the need to ask me constantly when I'm having another.

I tell myself it is because I don't look my age. People think I'm younger than I am. Still in my prime baby-making age. Man ego is a great thing, isn't it?

I'm not but that isn't the reason. Like I said, the craving is gone. The factory is closed.

You'd think I praised Hitler or swore my undying love for Mussolini the way some people react. An only child? But only children are spoiled brats.

Really? Citation please and by citation I do not mean your own anecdotal evidence because my anecdotal evidence blows yours away. You'll tell me you knew an only child growing up and he/she was the biggest spoiled brat ever. My response? Without thinking I can list 5 that I know quite well and not one is a spoiled brat. All 6 are intelligent, thoughtful, caring individuals. 2 of the 6 are teenagers and 1 isn't even close to his preteens. Doing for others unselfishly is second nature of all 6 so pfft.

Believe it or not, some of us don't want large broods. Some of us are perfectly content with having one child.

I believe in population control. I do not want to contribute beyond what I have to the ever burgeoning overcrowding on this planet.

I also believe strongly in adoption. My own personal belief is it is incredibly selfish to have more than one child when there are plenty in this country alone in desperate need of a loving home.

This is my belief and I don't force my beliefs on anyone (except my son who is too young to know otherwise for the time being and I'm playing that card for as long as I can).

So if you want to have 2, 8, 10, 20 kids, go for it. That is your decision and I respect it. All I ask is you respect my decision.

By the way, respecting a person's decisions means keeping your mouth shut and not making comments.

Besides I already deal with the "I'm not touching you", "I know you are but what am I", "Why are you hitting yourself?" between my husband and my son. Why the hell would I want to add another to the mix?

Oh wait, I'm the one who does the "why are you hitting yourself"....

No comments:

Post a Comment